Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Week Six

I found del.icio.us really helpful. It could be really helpful for research as you could tag any sites relating to a topic and can come back to easily from any computer without having to search it out again. By tagging sites with related tags you can group them together under research topics. You can also share these tags so anyone who is reseaching that topic will be able to see that the tags sites will help them. I like del.icio.us because I can organise the websites I visit into categories and access them from any computer so I don't have to remember them myself.

It took me a while to figure out how to claim my blog on techorati, I think they have recently changed the website around. It is taking longer for them to accept my claim. I did not find this site particularily helpful, but I guess it could help for keeping up to date with blogs within certan fields.

My thoughts on Library 2.0:
The way in which we access information is constantly changing, we are relying increasingly on digital media and the use of books is decreasing. Research can now be done online so there is little need to use libray books to research but there is the opourtunity for libraries to provide an intermediary between the customer and the unfiltered, unreliable information available on the internet. Fiction books are not safe from digital replacement either thanks to audiobooks and eBooks, recently the new iPad was released to compete with other digital book/eBook hardware (i.e. amazons Kindle) but I think that there is still a place for paper books and will continue to be as they are much easier on the eyes and can be shared easily.
I think the libraries of the future will provide a space where people can go to find information, in whatever form it takes, its just a matter of adapting to these forms.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice in Libraryland
    Well done at having a look at all the different topics loving your blog very interesting !! :-) Next up Wikis :-)Yes I still like paper books too!

    ReplyDelete